You arrived into 2017 pumped and ready for self-improvement programs, right??? ~ weight loss, smoking cessation, and healthier eating. Of all New Year’s resolutions, these three ~ weight loss, smoking cessation, and healthier eating capture 40% of all self-improvement related resolutions. Can you relate?
You may find it interesting that when you lose something, don’t you go about finding whatever it is that you lost? Right! The same with weight loss. You find it and put the inches back on the body frame in a yo-yo model unless you decide to permanently release the weight. Smoking cessation, can happen repeatedly…. You STOP smoking over and over and over again…. And that is just what you will do unless you chose to be SMOKE FREE. Eating healthier is ambiguous and means nothing specific; so how are you going to measure your success?
When it comes to resolutions…. Only 38% of twenty-something year olds make the grade each year, and by the 50+ age group, only 16% achieve their resolutions! Very dismal for New Year’s Resolutions!
When do people fall off the wagon, if they have made resolutions? 30% by the end of the first week of January! 40% by one month (February 1) and by six months its 60% have fallen off the wagon.
The source of all of the statistics given in the podcast come from Statistic Brain Research Institute conducted January 1, 2017.
Bottom line: Resolutions Don’t Work… The data is here.
What are you to do for real habit change? First solution… is ditch the resolutions. Why? Because resolutions are broad-based statements that do not engage specific behavior change step by step.
In our previous blog we discussed the acronym SMART and its application to behavior change for habits.
S-Specific, M-Meaningful, A-Achievable, R-Rewarding, T-Trackable
Now, we are taking habit change a step further. We are discussing how to make your habit change real!
- You know your SMART.
- You know your WHY.
- You KNOW you are ready for a CHANGE.
Let’s Do It – 5 Steps to Success
- Understand your assets and liabilities.
- Are you a procrastinator or persistent?
- Are you resilient or are you bummed by the first stumble?
- Are you prepared to deal with the difficult path or do you want the easy path?
- Chunk down the goal to the smallest particles for WINS each week/month/tri-mester.
- Define the one goal.
- Chunk it down using the SMART definition for the trimester.
- Now chunk it down using the SMART definition for the month.
- Now chunk it down using the SMART definition for the week.
- Hire the necessary support.
- Identify your accountability partner/s.
- Identify your coach ~ yes, it’s worth every penny.
- Why? Because your “new you” is connected with a new identity that requires a new mindset. Work with a coach to develop the new image to start living the image projection now so when you arrive there it STICKS!
- Spread the word ~ make it real among your village.
- Put the accountability steps and appointments in your calendar.
- Sticky notes work great
- Placing the appointment confirms your commitment!
- Have a 911 pick-up to rescue you when you are about to slide.
- CALL your support BEFORE you slide!
- Call your coach for a resilience check-up!
Now you have 5 concise steps for mastering one goal for 2017! I am a Solutions Coach that empowers you to be all who you wish to be! Choose one goal. Make a firm commitment. Each month with new enrollees, I present 21 Day Challenge Master 1Habit.
You have choices. Reflect on the steps to mastering one goal. The 21 Day Challenge Master One Habit brings you 15 videos, 3 Hypnosis sessions and more. Unlimited Coaching included. How does it get better than this????
Connect with me at